Monday, November 24, 2008

JetGreen

My grandmother is turning 90 this week and my whole family is flying to California to celebrate with her. I’m really looking forward to it. Well, most of it.

See, I hate to fly. I hate the sensation of taking off and God help me if we hit a few bumps along the way. I grasp onto my chair, close my eyes and pray.

Even worse, I hate watching the flight attendants collect the headsets at the end of the flight. I watch that bag fill up with barely used audio devices just to be taken to the landfill. Don’t these people have iPods? Don’t they know their headphones are better than the free ones?

And then there is the issue of empty soda cans. I can only hope that the trash is separated and someone turns in those cans for the 5 cent refund.

But aside from headsets and cans, there is something even more deadly to our environment and that is the carbon footprint left by our favorite mode of transportation.

It’s no secret that flying isn’t very eco-friendly. And believe me, if there were another way to get me to Cali in less than 3 days, I would take it. But there’s not.

So the next best thing is to buy carbon offsets.

You choose what you’d like to offset, like a plane ride, car trip or home energy use. Then the company providing the offset invests your money into clean energy like wind farms or other projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It’s a great idea and controversial but I figure, if Ed Begley, Jr. will fly with them, so will I.

My airline of choice is JetBlue. Not just for the blue potato chips but for the comfy seats and, most importantly, the little TV’s. I also appreciate the light humor the flight attendants provide. The whole experience makes for a nice flight.

So…imagine how ecstatic I was to find out that JetBlue is flying green!! They’re all about reducing their impact on the environment with new technology and they even support environmental and social activities in their local communities, encouraging their employees and customers to do the same. This is my kind of airline!

They’ve even opened a new, green terminal at JFK. So I thought that while I’m waiting for my flight to board, I would explore the new digs and see if Jet Blue is doing any other fun green things.

You’re probably thinking, why don’t you just read a book like the rest of us? I’m thinking, I have a follow-up story for next week!!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Green Travels!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should watch BBC America's "Should I Really Give Up Flying?" It talks all about the effects of flying on the environment.

And yeah, it must have been a while since you have flown. Many airlines have gotten rid of the "disposable" (free) headsets and replaced them with ones that you need to purchase on the plane and "can use on future flights and everyday". Other airlines have recycle bins at the gates so you can toss them in when you arrive. Plus, I've seen newspapers and cans go in separate bags from all other garbage.

But, then again, all of this won't get rid of the pollution, and it won't save Venice...

Also see here about carbon offsetting...

http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/16-06/ff_heresies_07trading

Oh, and while you're at it, make your employer get rid of those stoopid single-serve packet coffee makers... Use regular coffee makers and toss the coffee grinds into a compost bin. :)