Monday, January 12, 2009

A Green Cup of Coffee

Recently I was in Starbucks getting coffee. OK, a Peppermint Mocha. With whip. But made with soy milk. (I know, I’m really reaching now.) Anyway, the girl in front of me ordered a latte but requested two cups. Two cups? First, they have those cardboard sleeves to protect your hands and second, a latte isn’t even that hot!

I ordered my drink, not proud that I would be using one paper cup, let alone two. I noticed as I was waiting that there was a basket filled with these little green plastic things that looked like toothpicks. Then, little miss two-cupper picked one up and put it in the opening of the plastic lid. It turned out it was a stopper so her coffee wouldn’t spill.

What?! Who came up with this? Do we really need more plastic gizmos? Can’t we make do with lids that have the little flap? Or better yet, we should invest in travel mugs.

So I looked on the shelf and found one. Not only was it really cute, but Starbucks will take 10 cents off my drink if I bring my own mug. Perfect.

The next day, I ordered my drink and proudly handed the barista my new mug. I turned to pay the cashier and went back to the counter to pick up my beverage. I watched as she filled someone else’s drink in the nasty paper cup. Then I couldn’t believe my eyes…that drink was mine!

She made the drink in the wasteful paper and poured it into my nice, green mug!!

“What are you doing?” I screeched. She looked at me like a deer in headlights. “Huh?” she replied. “The whole purpose of handing you my own mug is to avoid the paper cup!” She stared back at me and gave out an uncaring “Oh.”

Feeling defeated, I took my drink and left the store. But my experience wasn’t over. As I took a sip, the coffee leaked all over and down my new winter coat. She didn’t screw the top on right. Now I was pissed.

I went back the next day to try again. This time, I made sure the barista knew to make the drink directly in the travel mug. When she handed me back my drink, I made sure that the top was screwed on tightly. I took a sip of my delicious drink and again, the mug dripped all over me.

I asked around and it turns out there are many other travel mug victims. The green alternative is good for the environment, but tends to leak. Great. Did I have to go back to the paper cup? Or should I do the smarter thing and limit my trips to Starbucks?

Since then, I’ve been on a manhunt for a better travel mug. Now when I get coffee on the go, I ask for it minus the lid and I reuse a cardboard sleeve. I’ve seen people roll their eyes but I don’t care. One less thing in the landfill. And one less stain on my coat.

5 comments:

Brutalism said...

I feel your pain. I am convinced that coffee tastes better in those "to go" cups and was thrilled to find a cermamic version at Whole Foods. (Same look and feel, but the "green" version.)
And same issue -- the top just doesn't work right...it leaks and drips.

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Meredith, I recently got a travel mug for the BF for green purposes but also in the hopes that he might make coffee at home instead of stopping at the coffee shop on the way to work every day. I got it at Target (can't find it on the site), it cost $20, and no leaks! Also, consider taking your mug to a shop other than Starbucks - the indie place BF goes to gives him $1 off for bringing his mug! Win/win:)

Anonymous said...

It's an OXO brand mug.

Anonymous said...

Her Mer. We got a Breast Cancer pink travel mug at Bed Bath Beyond. It was like $15-$20. It's very good. No leaks! - Tami V

Anonymous said...

Its not new, but a flask will do the job, you can also avoid going into starbucks at all and make your own.