Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pollute What You Wish, But You Must Pollute Something

Recently, my dad came to New York for a visit and we decided to take him to The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

It was very crowded so we immediately headed to a ticket counter.

We were greeted by a young girl who quickly took our money and gave us a receipt and a handful of coupons. I kindly said, "no thank you" to the coupons. Barely looking up, she gestured her head to the side and said, "The trash is right there."

I gasped. I'm actually gasping again as I write this.

I gained composure and said, "Can't I just give them back to you?" She stared at me blankly. A sarcophagus in the Egyptian wing had more life than she had in her eyes. I stared back at her and said "We can't waste all that paper! What about the poor trees?"

She was not amused by me. She had other people to deal with, other coupons to give out. Without looking up, she snatched the coupons from my hand and threw them back into her pile.

I walked away feeling agitated. My day at the Met was ruined. It was all I could think about. How many other people had wanted to give the coupons back and wound up throwing them away because she wouldn't take them?

A few hours passed and we were ready to leave. I couldn't possibly leave without saying anything or at least inquiring about their recycling policies.


I went to the information desk and the following conversation took place:

"Hi. I'm just wondering...does the Met recycle?" I asked.

"Um. I'm not...hey...do we recycle?" said a woman.

A man answered, "We print all of our brochures on recycled paper."

"That's great! But I'm wondering, do you recycle?" More sarcophagus stares.

Feeling frustrated by their non-response, I said "OK...here is what happened..." and I told my story. Neither of them seemed interested in the fact that those tiny coupons made of trees almost wound up in the trash, needlessly.

But then, I discovered what got their attention. I mentioned that the girl had been rude.

"Oh ma'am! We're so sorry! Please, fill out this form and return it to our customer service department." All of a sudden, they were as attentive and full of purpose as George Washington Crossing the Delaware.

I took the piece of paper and left the Met, making sure to recycle my little metal "M".

Here is my message to The Met. Let's save paper for something better . . . like artwork that my father will see hanging in a museum the next time we visit. Or how about this...the coupons were for discounts to the gift shop. Since everyone gets a coupon with their paid ticket, why not just discount everything and save the paper!

I have sent my complaint to their customer service department. I'm hoping that they realize that being rude to a patron is one thing, but being rude to the planet is pretty bad too.

1 comment:

Della said...

Meredith, I'm so happy to be introduced to your blog. I love your passion for our planet. Very inspiring!

~Della