Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Seasonal & Local

John and I decided that we really need to do more shopping at the farmer's market as the produce selection at the local grocery leaves little to be desired. 

During the summer months we're lucky because there is a small stand right on our corner.  But that doesn't open until the end of June.

Our other option is to trek down to Union Square which is challenging because of the crowds of people.

But recently, I discovered a small farmer's market 10 blocks from my apartment.  How I've been living here for two years and never realized this before is beyond me. 

On Saturday, John and I set out to visit this little gem.

We were very excited to arrive and find all of the amazing foods it had to offer. 

We went with the intention of buying ingredients to make gazpacho but we quickly learned that that wasn't going to happen as most of the ingredients still aren't in season. 

Our choices were limited as it is much smaller than the Union Square market however, it did the job. 

We bought asparagus, scallions, strawberries, kale and bread. 


I was mad at myself for having visited the Food Emporium the night before and buying non-organic potatoes and onions to make our breakfast when I could have purchased the local variety at the market.  I did buy organic peppers.  However, they were wrapped in plastic.  There's something wrong with that picture.  Below was our breakfast...



Last night, I roasted our beautiful, local asparagus, the other plastic wrapped pepper and the left over scallions to create a delicious dinner. 



This was followed by my kale chips (kale, salt, pepper and a tablespoon of olive oil.  Mix together and put in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Delish!)




I capped off the evening with the most amazing strawberries.



Finally, when all the veggies had been cut up and devoured, the scraps went into our new composter (look for a future post about that!).



As John and I test out our ability to eat local and seasonal, I can hardly wait to see what this week's farmer's market holds for us!

3 comments:

Brutalism said...

Oh my God...this post makes my mouth water. I want those strawberries. (And I want a tutorial on the kale chips...mine turned out horribly and they are so delicious when done well.)

Cannot wait to see your future farmer's market finds.

The Green, The Bad and The Ugly said...

I'm totally going to come to VA and make them for you!! :)

Boris Nelson said...

Very interesting and useful information. I had seen it many times yet not felt the urge to blog on it. When you blogged, it made interesting reading.