Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Seven Year Pen


When I was in 6th grade, there was a kid named Matt who always tipped back on his chair and chewed pens.  And as sure as the sun will rise, that pen always exploded in his mouth. He would always be leaving class to head to the boys room to clean up the blue mess left behind on his face.


I can only imagine how happy Bic or Papermate was by this act of constantly having to replace his exploded pen.


And I can only imagine the disappointment of Mother Earth that another pen was headed to the landfill.


Now that I'm married, I face a similar problem.  A husband who is a writer who keeps a pen/pen cap in his mouth and leaves mangled pieces of plastic all over the apartment.


But honestly, how often do we even think of these things?  It's a pen.  It's meant to have a short life.  And it's so small, how could it possibly matter if it ends up in the landfill?


But it does matter.


On average, Americans throw away 1,600,000,000 pens every year!


Did you just pull that pen out of your mouth?  I did.


But now there is a solution.  The Seven Year pen!


My friend recently introduced me to this gem of a pen and I'm in love with the idea.  I won't need to buy another pen till I'm...well...let's not go there.


I dare Matt to try and chew this pen...that would be a lot of ink to clean off his face!


And no pen caps...even better!  I won't be picking up mangled pieces of dead pen carcus. And think of the money you'll save.


You can get your Seven Year Pen on the Seltzer website.  I was very excited to see that Seltzer was carrying these pens as they have a lot of other cool, eco-friendly stationary stuff.  I love this site and I hope you will too!


Happy writing!

2 comments:

Brutalism said...

So cool! Love the idea...and the designs. Good stocking stuffers!

The Green, The Bad and The Ugly said...

Absolutely!