Monday, February 1, 2010

LIGHTS! CAMERA! GREEN!



Hollywood celebrities have been going green for some time ( Ed Begley, Jr., Leonardo DiCaprio, and Edward Norton just to name a few). And now Hollywood productions are getting into the act.

Film festivals, awards shows, TV and movie sets are going carbon neutral.
I was beside myself to learn that my favorite show, 24, is turning off all electrical equipment when not in use, switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs and using renewable power sources like wind and solar energy. I knew I loved Kiefer for a reason!

Maya Rudolph's new film Away We Go was so environmentally friendly that they are releasing a documentary about the ways they reduced their environmental impact.

Even the Screen Actors Guild Awards got their green on by limiting their printing (on recycled paper), using organic and locally grown food and flowers, and donating or composting leftovers.

I was also pleased to find out that the Producers Guild West has a Green Committee.

These are just a few of the inspiring efforts going on. A couple of weeks ago, I got to be a part of one.

My friends, Sharon Shenk and Adam Schram, are filmmakers whose work has appeared and won awards in many festivals, including the LA Shorts Film Festival, Big Apple Film Festival and Tropfest. Their production company is called Sundown Productions and I was recently fortunate enough to be cast in their latest film. At the shoot not only were they innovative in their filmmaking, but also in their approach to the environment.

Sharon reuses all of the napkins, coffee cups, food containers, etc. from the restaurants that cater her meetings. And when she can, at craft services she uses the real deal -- plates, silverware, ceramic coffee mugs. She is also vegan, so the food she supplies is always healthy and from good sources.

We were waiting around for a scene to be shot when I walked onto the set while the crew was setting up the lighting. I noticed they were using CFL light bulbs! I started to talk with the cameraman and he showed me how he had crafted a few of his own lighting set-ups using items around the house (like a used, disposable foil roasting pan). I was amazed and impressed. I not only felt great about being part of the movie, but also about being part of its green efforts.

When I was in L.A., I lived two blocks away from Grauman's Chinese Theater and was always thrilled by its famous footprints. Now the film business is aspiring to something even better than a cement footprint -- a small carbon one.

SIDE NOTE...If you’re into celebrity gossip AND being green, then you must check out one of my favorite sites, Ecorazzi.

No comments: