Monday, January 3, 2011

AULD LANG GREEN



About an hour after I posted "When You Wish Upon A (Times Square) Ball," I went out to run some errands. I found myself at The Vinegar Factory, a spin off of Zabars for the Upper East Siders. We usually only buy their bread since their staples, like butter, run about $12/pound. (Really. I'm not kidding. Airport food courts have more reasonable prices.)

As I walked in, I was literally attacked by mounds and mounds of confetti. On the floors, draped over the wooden beams. It was as if The Vinegar Factory were storing it for the Times Square party later that night.

Of course, I had just written my blog about the Times Square confetti and was really uncomfortable. I grabbed my loaf of bread, paid my bill and had my hand on the door, but I stopped. I asked to speak to the manager. He walked over to me, oblivious to all the non-recyclable debris.

I calmly stated my disapproval. Actually, I said I was "appalled."

He became defensive. "Times Square does it! This is nothing!"

To which I replied, "That doesn't mean you have to! You should set an example. This is hurting our environment!"

He then proceeded to tell me that he didn't care and that, besides, everyone else liked it.

I squeezed in one last "appalling" as I realized everyone on line was staring at me.

I went home wondering if I was too self-righteous or not self-righteous enough.

I kept thinking about how the manager compared his store to Times Square. Aside from the fact that the city probably paid for the celebration every year what his customers paid for potatoes, was there any point in attacking a little pile of confetti when there was going to be an even bigger pile downtown?

Of course there was. Small steps add up. Many times you write in telling me about small steps here and there and that's terrific!

But I have to thank the manager for giving me something he probably didn't count on: an idea. I'm contacting Mayor Bloomberg about the confetti in Times Square.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: