Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Meredith Mnemonic

Here we are...a little more than a week into the new year and I'm already forgetting what it was I resolved to do!


Some say it takes 21 days to establish a new habit, others say two months. But if I can't remember which habit I'm supposed to be creating, it won't matter either way.

So I decided to make things easier on myself. I've heard of Meatless Mondays, so I've created some other mnemonic devices for habits that I want to instill.

MEATLESS MONDAYS
Not only is it good for our health, but it's good for the planet. The meat industry contributes to half of the man-made greenhouse gas emissions! If every American gave up meat on just Monday's, it would cut down meat consumption by 14% which would significantly reduce methane emissions. Instead, opt for veggie, legume and whole grain based meals. And there's nothing like a great pasta primavera! (http://www.meatlessmonday.com/)

TAKE TWO TUESDAYS
Two reusable bags that is. We already know that plastic bags are killing our sea life and our environment so let's cut down. Do a purse (or pocket) check to make sure you've got at least two reusable bags in there for those impromptu trips to the market. Chico makes a great little bag that folds into itself taking up almost no space in your bag. T hey're cheap, sturdy, come in fun colors and last a long time. And note this...one reusable bag is the equivalent of 1000 plastic bags during the lifetime of the bag!


WALKING WEDNESDAYS
It's time to get off my butt and off the bus and walk to work. I know this isn't possible for everyone, but if you can cut down on your transportation at all, every little bit helps. Gas, exhaust, traffic congestion...they spell trouble for the planet. For me, just by walking to work, I've added in two miles of exercise! And get this...according to Bikes Belong, "If 10% of NYC commuters walked or biked to work instead of driving or taking transit just once per week, they could save 120 million pounds of CO2 emissions per year, equivalent to the amount released by the homes of 25,000 New Yorkers."



THIRSTY THURSDAYS
Not only will I make sure I drink my eight 8-ounce glasses of water, but I'll do so without a plastic water bottle (no BPA for me) or bottled water (save money and less trash). You'll be sure to see me with my Kleen Kanteen and Brita pitcher. If you drink 3 bottles of water a day, you'd be keeping 156 plastic water bottles our of our oceans and landfills a year!



FIVE-MINUTE FRIDAYS
Skip the long, hot shower and opt for a 5-minute one. The average person showers for more than eight minutes and uses an average of almost 20 gallons of water. By using a timer and taking a 5-minute shower, you'll not only save water, but you'll also save the energy it takes to heat the water. Less water and less money!



SHOPLESS SATURDAYS
Not shop less...shopless! I know that on the weekends, we like to catch up on all those sales but if we have one day a week where we don't buy anything, not only are we saving money, but we're consuming less "things." Less packaging plus less stuff equals a better environment.



LOCAL SUNDAYS
What better day than the day of rest to travel leisurely through your local farmer's market and choose beautiful, seasonal and local fruits, veggies, meats and cheeses.



I've been trying this little project out for the past week and so far, so good.


New resolution: focus on these mnemonic devices...and how to spell "mnemonic."

4 comments:

Brutalism said...

Excellent tips! (And I would have had to look up the spelling of mnemonic, too.)

There are so many good reasons to east less (or no) meat -- the environmental aspect just makes it that much better an idea.

The Green, The Bad and The Ugly said...

Thank you! Confession...I had originally spelled it with a "p" and knew that it didn't look right! Seriously though, so far so good...I've been able to stick to these tips using the device! And I do feel better when I eat less meat...especially if you don't know where the meat is coming from. Eww.

Medifast Coupons said...

All great advice but I would change one.
No shop Sunday, I think if we stopped shopping Sundays it would send the message that this is family time and family day. Retailers would stop opening and those that work retail could also have Sundays with their families.

The Green, The Bad and The Ugly said...

I really like that idea! We need to bring back family time, family dinners. They could shop locally Saturday and cook a great family dinner on Sunday! Excellent suggestion!