Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Passionate Truth


I went to a seminar last weekend called "Crash Course MBA" given by The Savvy Actor.


I loved it and learned a lot of new things about myself, promoting myself, and promoting my business.


There were two themes that kept resonating with me throughout the weekend.  One was "Branding" and the other was "Passion." 
 Well, before I can begin to brand myself, I have to focus on my passion.

In the words of Irene Cara in Flashdance, "Take your passion and make it happen."


So I thought about what they asked.  "What am I so passionate about that it gets me out of bed every day?  What drives me?"


Of course, there's my husband, my dog, my family. And of course, The Bachelor.


But there's also helping the planet.


My journey began in 2007 after watching An Inconvenient Truth.  After the ending credits, I went to their website and printed out the "Ten things you can do to help the environment."


The very next day I was at the store buying CFL lightbulbs, changing out my cleaning products, demanding that we not use anymore plastic bags, buying reusable water bottles and running around the apartment unplugging things.

I was a maniac.


And I remember thinking, "Is that it?  Am I finished?"


And the answer was "For the time being . . . yes."


I had made a start and done all I could do within my four walls at that time.  With those five simple acts, I had made a huge change.

But it wasn't enough for me.  I became addicted and wanted to do more. 

I wanted to purchase carbon offsets for every piece of traveling I did (ok...the traveling I want to do).  I wanted to walk more and switch solely to public transportation...no more cabs. 


I devoured information about what was really going on with our environment.  I started yelling at people who didn't get it.  I started a blog.  I became obsessed.


This was why I get out of bed in the morning.


So - passion? - check.


Branding.


How do I brand myself?


The crazy tree hugger?


The insane trash picker?


The off-her-rocker/carry-her-groceries-home-in-her-arms-rather-than-take-a-plastic-bag girl?


Or maybe just a concerned guest of this planet.  Who gets a little too passionate sometimes.  By expressing herself to obtuse grocery store managers about using too much confetti.


But that's OK.  Because of my passion, I feel better now when I go to bed.


And even when I watch The Bachelor.

2 comments: