Sunday, February 1, 2009

Paper Bowl XLIII

"All that paper!" I blurted out as twenty tons of confetti showered the Pittsburgh Steelers and their fans as they celebrated their non-green victory at the Super Bowl.

This wasn't the first time I've said this.  At Cirque de Soleil's latest production, Wintuk, I watched in dismay as the Canadian circus created winter by blanketing the audience with tissue paper snowflakes.

"I'm pretty sure they recycle this," my friend told me.  I was pretty sure they didn't.  I watched through the faux blizzard as kids and adults grabbed paper flakes as a souvenir.  (Were no two really alike?)  What was this?  Couldn't they buy a t-shirt like everybody else?  

I came home that night, took off my jacket and about 20 "souvenirs" poured out of me.  That's not counting the ones I found on the steps of my apartment building the next day.  At least those got recycled.

Spamalot was another offender.  Somehow you expect better from Monty Python.  But instead of a killer rabbit or a giant foot coming into the audience at the end, there were more paper souvenirs.  Bad enough that they celebrate lumberjacks in The Lumberjack Song.  But this?  

Come on, people!  Do we still not get that we need to start saving trees?  Is falling tissue paper really the symbol we need for celebration?  Can we just scream a lot?  We've done away with ticker tape at parades and rice at weddings.  Why not confetti?

I admit I was rooting for the Cardinals, but I still offer congratulations to the Steelers.  I can only hope that when you return home with your sixth Vince Lombardi trophy, Pittsburgh has the good sense to shower you with something biodegradable.
   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While we've done away with ticker tape at parades because no one uses ticker tape anymore, we certainly haven't done away with a replacement for ticker tape.

From an article about the last "ticker tape" parade held in NYC in Feb. 2008:

"With a snowstorm of confetti and paper raining down from skyscrapers, Michael Strahan cradled the Super Bowl trophy like a baby Tuesday as thousands of New York Giants fans celebrated on Manhattan's streets and saluted their improbable champions."

Magpie said...

Last December, my child and I went to the Radio City Christmas show. During the show, it "snowed" in the audience - it was actually some kind of bubble solution, so no paper mess.

However, they did send out huge quantities of mylar streamers - which the children all took home. I used most of it as christmas wrapping ribbons.