Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Burial at Sea


Ever since the end of the world on Saturday (oh wait...I'm still here), I've been thinking a little more about death.


I always figured that when I go, I would not only get to see my mom again, but I would get answers to all the questions I ever wanted to know, like "Who shot JFK?" or "Who wins on the next season of Survivor (since I won't be one)?"


The one thing I know now is what I want to become of my remains.


I want to be cremated and I want my ashes to be put into a man-made coral reef.




No...I'm not crazy.  This is a real thing.


See...I'm not a big fan of the creepy crawlies that live in the ground plus I'm claustraphobic, so traditional burial is out.  Not to mention all the formaldehyde and toxic substances from the coffin that leak into our ground and eventually end up in our water supply.


I'm much more of an ocean fan so I found a company that has constructed a coral reef out of, well, human ashes.

In a nutshell, The Neptune Society, takes your ashes and pours them into non-toxic molds which have been assembled into an eco-friendly man-made reef.  Your place in the reef is also marked by a bronze plaque with your name on it. 


So to all my friends out there, wouldn't it be nicer to visit me during a nice scuba dive in Miami?


Destination funeral anyone?


I have the peace of mind of knowing that I will spend eternity helping marine organisms thrive.



Maybe you could consider ending up in a coral reef.  Trust me -- it's not the end of the world.

2 comments:

Brutalism said...

I love this idea. I have always wanted to be cremated...but never knew about the human coral reef. Very cool.

The Green, The Bad and The Ugly said...

It's great, right! There are a lot of different things you can do with your remains...you can also shoot them into space.

One of my favorite stories is from my acting teacher. Her mom passed and was cremated and wanted her and her daughter to take her ashes on a cruise and sprinkle her at sea but when they finally took the trip, she realized she couldn't take all the ashes so she took some and put them in a small container and took those with her. Then her friends started traveling to different places and offered to take some ashes with them so her mom wound up having her ashes sprinkled pretty much all over the world!